Friday, February 11, 2011

Jerry Sloan

I keep telling myself that I’m true blue, but after yesterday’s surreal moment when I watched a teary eyed Jerry Sloan give his resignation speech I couldn’t help but think that “they” forced him out of his position despite what he said or what Larry Miller’s son Greg said, that he or no one else force him out and it was all Sloan’s definitive decision.
I was a huge Jazz fan, and D-Will, number 8, (my favorite number) was one of my favorite players in the league but I’ve since lost respect for him. Apparently after their regrettable loss to “the Jazz of the East,” the Chicago bulls who displayed their three former Jazz players of just even last season, Carlos Boozer, Ronnie Brewer, and Kyle Korver, Deron had a little spat with Jerry at half time and I think made him feel old and washed up.
I don’t know if I can full heartedly root for the Jazz anymore because Jerry Sloan was the greatest man to ever coach the game and that’s not just my opinion, and they pressured him into retiring. I think Deron had a lot to do with it and it breaks my heart.
I’ll still watch the games, and I actually do like Tyrone Corbin, the new Head Coach of the Utah Jazz but in no way ever will anyone fill Jerry Sloan’s shoes. Jerry was the epitome of consistency and good sportsmanship, even when his former team, the Chicago Bulls cheated their way to the Championship in the 96-97, 97-98 playoffs. John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek, and yes, I’ll say it, even Karl Malone all deserve a Championship title but no one in my opinion deserves it more than Coach Sloan.
One of the greatest men to ever be a part of the game is Coach Jerry Sloan, and even though his sudden mid-season retirement leaves much debate as to how I believe he was mistreated and haggled into leaving, his undeniable legacy will stand on its own two feet while those who wanted him out in my opinion…cough… Greg Miller… cough… will receive their just reward in time, whatever it be.
Jerry Sloan and Larry Miller were best friends, and to me for both of their endings, Larry’s wholly unfortunate death, and Jerry’s tear wrenching retirement, testify to me that the best people in life really do get the best rewards in the eyes of those who love them, while others who boast and smother them out receive the glory of the world.   
No matter who coaches the Jazz in the future, you will always be that symbol that represents the very heart of Jazz Nation. I’ve loved watching all your shenanigans over the years and witnessing all of your great career moments as they happen. Though others must step in and coach the team, no one will ever really take your place Jerry and you are a champion in my book. Thank you so much for letting me grow up with the very best in basketball. I’ll never forget you or the very best of the classic Jazz. In that sense I’ll always be true blue, but the new Jazz have to prove to me now that they can still carry on that great character that you so prominently displayed throughout your career. Like I said, not many can or ever will be able to say they’ve had a career that even comes close to yours, and once again Jerry you are a champion, you really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment